Thread: Tips for moms, mums, mommy Choosing the Right Breastshield Size and Pump breastmilk

Tips for moms, mums, mommy Choosing the Right Breastshield Size and Pump breastmilk

84cfeb88-333e-4629-a330-be5ef7fffba4.jpg._CB333684419_.jpg
    A size M PersonalFit Breastshield is included in all Medela personal use pumps. However, every woman is unique and one breastshield does not fit all. This is why Medela offers a range to allow mothers to choose exactly the right size. Figure A on the right shows a breastshield that is the correct size. The example in figure B is too small and the one in figure C is too large. In order to ensure maximum comfort and efficiency while expressing milk, mothers can choose between five PersonalFit Breastshield sizes: S (21mm), M (24mm), L (27mm), XL (30mm) and XXL (36mm)

english-personalfit-breastshield.png.2016-08-19-03-56-44.jpg

Step 1

Using a ruler or measuring tape measure the diameter of your nipple at base (across middle) in millimeters (mm). Do not include areola.

Step 2

Based on your breast measurement, determine your PersonalFit nipple shield size. Example: If your nipple size measures 17 mm in diameter, the recommended PersonalFit breast shield size is
    21 mm.

english-personalfit-breastshield-size.png.2016-08-19-03-56-44.jpg

Test your breast shield size

Start with the 24 mm that came with your pump, or the size determined by measuring.
    Center the nipple and gently hold the breast shield against your breast.
    Adjust for Maximum Comfort VacuumTM to achieve optimum suction level.
    Refer to the images below while pumping in the expression phase (after the stimulation phase).

one product of Breastpump is Medela Swing Electric Breastpump

Efficient

The Swing pumps more milk in less time thanks to its 2-phase expression technology, the first research-based breastpump technology that mimics a baby's natural nursing rhythm.
    Designed for every-day use

This popular pump is for mothers who want to use a breastpump every day. It is perfect for a busy mother who works, plays sport, wants to go shopping or go out for an evening. If you don’t want to spend a lot of time pumping, the Swing electric breastpump is the ideal solution.
    Comfortable and easy to handle

The Swing pump is easy to assemble and clean. You can switch between phases and set the most comfortable vacuum level. The battery option, combined with a belt clip, guarantees maximum mobility, and it can also be used with a mains adapter.

d2ac58c6-d673-4d7e-950c-843e4c87ea56.jpg._CB333505735__SR300,300_.jpg

Non said
    My first experience with expressing milk was using Philips AVENT SCF312/01 Electric Breast Pump - well the older version (Isis IQ Uno) which my sister lent to me to try out but after using it a few times and reading through reviews I decided in the end to pay the extra money and purchase the Medela Swing pump for myself. It arrived today and so far I am happy with my decision (though I've only used it once) even though it cost a lot more. This is mainly because it's a lot faster than the Philips pump and that is important. It is very tedious and gets pretty uncomfortable if it takes too long to express a bottle of milk. The suction pattern on the Medela is also smoother though the silicone petal on the Philips does feel nice and soft and the Medela does not have this. Also, the angle of the Medela is much better so one can sit more comfortably while expressing. I also like that Medela include a drawstring bag to keep all of the bits in and two plug types (European and UK/ Ireland).
    There are aspects of the Medela though that are NOT good in comparison to the Philips which is a much cheaper electric pump and this is a disappointment after forking out the extra:
    - The Medela does not include a breast shield cover. This would be simple and cheap to do so it is annoying that they don't include one as it would be useful if one had to stop pumping briefly to pick up the baby for instance etc.
    - The instruction booklet is OK but a little basic. I think it presumes too much knowledge in a first-time mother and requires one to know what one is doing with regard to when to express milk and when/ how it might be helpful to do so (e.g. to relieve engorgement etc.). The Philips includes a helpful little booklet about breastfeeding and more detailed instructions - not essential but a nice touch.
    - The Medela's parts feel a lot more flimsy and smaller (especially the valve!!) and it is more fiddly to put together, take apart and to clean.
    - The Medela's motor is separate and connected to the pump via a tube. Perhaps this technology may be what makes it a stronger/ more effective and faster pump than the Philips (I'm speculating here though) but it means that the motor needs to be balanced on one's knees or a table and controlled with one hand while the pump is held in the other hand. The Philips is used one-handed.
    - The accessories and bottles for the Medela are much more expensive and less widely available than the Philips Avent bottles. That said, I do like the Calma teat. The baby really looked like he was suckling in the same manner as he does on the breast when he was using it (though he had no problem with Philips Avent teats either) and it feels nice and soft. I am more confident that he is less likely to have nipple confusion when he returns to the breast after using this teat which will be less painful for me! The teat is more fiddly and awkward to clean though as it needs to be taken apart - is in three bits.
    So overall, there are areas where Medela falls down which is disappointing given the big price difference between the two products but ultimately it seems to express milk faster and more effectively and for me, this makes it worth getting.

Review 23-10-2012 Amazon
    Last edited by Fano; 09-10-2016 at 03:31 AM.